the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Thursday, April 10, 2008

a typical Japanese Christian story

This morning it was my turn to do the bike parking check, and I got to talk with one of my Christian English teachers.

Church came up and I got to hear her story. She's been a Christian for some time. She was on the religion department for over ten years. She's a member of the church in the town where she lives, but she hasn't been there in years. She says she doesn't go because she is the only Christian in her family and it's hard.

We didn't have much time to talk, so I assumed the rest:

- She married a non-Christian.
- Without two believers, the kids didn't have good examples to follow and didn't become believers.
- She got tired of going to an old boring church by herself and decided spending time with her kids was a better use of her time.

Many Japanese Christians are married like this - many also must choose to stay single their whole lives. Like I said, this isn't the first time I've heard a story like this in Japan. So I assumed the rest, but I'll defiantly talk to her about it again later.

She's a great woman of faith, and I could see a difference in her when I first got here. But she always kept her distance. This is probably why. I don't blame her for her choices. It is hard being a Christian in Japan - especially when you're Japanese.

I just thought I'd give you readers a window into Japan. Please pray for Japan, the Japanese church and Japanese Christians. We covet your prayers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurie Elliot said...

It doesn't even have to be a dull church... its just hard to go against the crowd.

Maybe she should have gone to prayer meeting. I think that what has kept people coming in our church is the chance to let unload - usually at prayer meeting - and know that people care. But maybe Aji prayer meetings are a bit unusual. (Renee says we live in a different world.)

4/10/2008 5:37 PM  
Blogger クリス先生 said...

There are so many here...

4/10/2008 10:14 PM  
Blogger NB said...

Do they have a prayer meeting in Kuroishi? I think she goes to the Nihon Krisuto Kyodan Church there. Is there more than one church in Kuroishi?

4/11/2008 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home