the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Season of Change

One of my Japanese friends says she hates spring because it means change
is coming and her friends are leaving. When I was in the states this
really confused me, but now I understand.

Today we had the "end of the year" assembly. Near the end retiring
teachers were recognized. My friend O-sensei is retiring this year.
Seeing her up on stage and walking back into the crowd with a bouquet of
flowers made me realize: This is really happening; things are changing
all the time.

When I first met O-sensei, I was on the religion dept board with her.
She seemed like a gruff old gym teacher who kept to herself. I couldn't
understand a thing she said in her deep, mumbly voice - I still have
trouble with it. But she's the one who's driven me out to see places in
Aomori. She's the one who really talks to me about school politics.
She's the one who introduced me to her cronies. She's the one who delt
with her devil of a homeroom for three years and still gave me time. I'm
gonna miss her. I know her other teacher friends at school and I'll try
and stay in touch.

You'd think I would have noticed that things are changing. Graduation
here was about three weeks ago.



There have also been going away parties
for college graduates at church.



All kinds of teachers are leaving or
changing jobs. Teachers here are getting ready for the "beginning of the
school year" shift. A is leaving. I still haven't quite grasped that
yet. You know, originally I had planned to leave this August, but I had
a change of heart. Sometimes I can't believe I'm staying.

Next year I want to try and be like O-sensei - do well while sticking it
out.

But that's all another story. More on that and gradation later, I hope.
When you don't have time to blog, I guess that means you're busy living.

3 Comments:

Blogger *cq* said...

it's harder to be "left behind" than to leave. but in every process, we're being shaped and molded...

yes, i think i am finally busy living! ;p

3/19/2008 1:38 PM  
Blogger NB said...

ごめんね。 m( _ _)m そのことないよ。

(above) Japanese brain
(below) American brain

I didn't mean it like that. I wasn't even thinking about you.

...and you have more of a life than I do anyway. ;)

3/19/2008 2:14 PM  
Blogger *cq* said...

hehehe... i didn't think u were referring to me but just happened tt it applies to me as well ;p

thanks for getting akemi's friends to come for her bday thing. she's evidently pleasantly surprised!

3/20/2008 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home