the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Open Campus Day

It's been a long time since I've had time to reflect. I feel like I've been busy since I started at this school in April. Maybe I just haven't taken the time I need.

Today was "Open Campus" at our school. It's a day when potential students and their parents come to visit. With the help of three co-workers and two of my regular students, I get a lesson on sports, likes and dislikes.

Even though they were only 5th and 6th graders. One on one they were fairly confident in their English, but with parents and other students they didn't know they room got quiet really quick.

At first, I tried to use some of the kids as examples, but that didn't work so well, so my co-worker stepped in and said, "use me!".

I have to admit that we haven't always gotten along, and she didn't particularly look thrilled to be there, but she really saved the day!

Later on when I thanked her, she said, "no prob. That's what we do around here, teamwork." I'm learning her definition of teamwork, and today I liked it. :)

After that, all in all the lesson went well. I used to work with elementary kids until this April, so I thought it'd be a snap. Things are not usually as easy as you think, and maybe that's a blessing in disguise.

In hindsight, I think I could have talked a little slower and included people more. I was surprisingly nervous being there in front of parents and new students. I need to stay calm and focused even in new situations, and stay flexible too.

I had an interview a year ago where the interviewer told me, "it doesn't matter so much what kind of a job you do. What's more important is what kind of person you are." At an interview that confused me, but I am finally starting to see what he meant.

Maybe I focus too much on tasks and not enough on people. Maybe next time we can try working more together on something. We'll have to make time for that.

Coming up already next week: writing final tests together! :) Wish us luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home