the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Motivation, Anxiety and Other Issues

So, there are some boys in the lower level class who have generally been
a problem. Up until now we could give them the benefit of the doubt,
maybe it was jet lag, maybe they were sick, maybe they were still
getting used to each other, the classes, the food, etc. I have
previously separated the boys and moved desks to the front of the room
for talking, hitting, throwing erasers and coins, etc. However, this
Thursday, the boys were more of a behavioral problem than usual.

In my class, they were blatantly and loudly having an unrelated
conversation in Korean across the room while I was trying explain the
grammar point of the lesson. I realize it might not have been the most
interesting thing in the world, but I was trying to keep it short (under
3 min) and present it in a way that would prepare them for the upcoming
activity. Some might say do the activity first to get them interested,
but at their low level of understanding, I was afraid they would ignore
the activity as well. And trying to get them to write, say or even
repeat contextualized examples is like pulling teeth. I had already
moved the two ring-leader boys to the front, so having few other options
left, I yelled at them for a short bit.

I've said this frankly before, really, personally, I don't care whether
they listen or not, but sometimes I need to act angry to regain control
of my classroom for the sake of all the students and the learning of
material.

After lunch, the other teacher and the department head and I had a
conversation with the two ring leader boys through an interpreter
(thanks J!). At first the boys tried to shirk and blame saying they
hadn't said anything, it was other students - or at least other students
who had started the talking and throwing things. Secondly, the boys
claimed that their "acting out"" was because they "can't understand
anything the teachers say". The boys also claimed that the (very quiet)
girls in class were "always" laughing at their English inability and
calling them names. I personally, I have hardly even seen any of the
girls in class talk to one of the boys. I find this explanation somewhat
hard to believe. I believe that personal motivation is also a key
factor (these boys seem to have been strongly "encouraged" to attend
this camp), and I am still struggling with how to provide that motivation.

We pointed out that other students in the class may feel similarly, and
yet they manage to still pay attention and refrain from having loud
conversations and generally being distracting. We also pointed out that
in very simple forms the boys CAN understand and even communicate -
perhaps even better than some of their classmates. Hopefully that was
encouraging.

I do remember what it was like to sit around in a foreign country and
not at all understand what was going on, so I'm somewhat willing to
except this explanation. If this is the case, then something can be
done to alleviate the anxiety! I am redoubling my efforts to make the
lessons clear and understandable as well as engaging while minimizing
potential embarrassment. We'll see how it plays out this coming week.

But before we talked with the boys, I had never before seriously thought
of "acting out" as a strategy for avoiding language anxiety or
embarrassment. I feel that I have somewhat gained a new vantage point
and hope to add this to the list of considerations that influence my
teaching.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always "act out" my lessons, and I use anchors for my gestures. It always seems to help. Drawing parallel timelines for the simple, continuous, and perfect tenses help the class seem to understand better. Keep your head up. Junior-high students are the hardest to deal with, probably because of the hormones. I was nasty when I was thirteen.

Kristoffer

1/30/2011 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home