the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pre-Taiwan Reflection

Where to begin? Again, my short volunteer experience with Chinese
students here in LA makes me incredibly optimistic about what my
students will be like in Taiwan. They worked hard and most have good
attitudes. However, many things will be different: age, country of
residence, student life vs. retiree. I don't want to have any false
expectations for my students, but I'm hopeful already that this will be
a great experience.

I'm also pretty happy to be working with a local public college, local
instructors, and local churches. It might be overwhelming, but working
with local groups seems to give things more the air of true
international cooperation.

My bags are packed, I have all my nylon clothes and sweat rags from
teaching in humid Japan. Hopefully I'll be able to cope with the heat
and humidity that I've heard so much about.

I'm surprised at the amount of synonyms from Japanese to Chinese.
Actually, historically I guess this isn't surprising as China was very
influential on early Japan. Although it isn't a main goal of my trip,
and it's supposed to be really hard, learning a little Chinese in my two
to three weeks is something I'm looking forward to.

Also, the idea of pairs of teachers who have had at least one year of
experience working in the program before and new "teacher's assistants"
working together. This focus on team says so much. I'm really grateful
that the program seems to value communication, experience and partnership.

I guess that's all for now. If I have a spare minute during the next
few weeks, I'll write some "Mid-Taiwan" reflections.

1 Comments:

Blogger Laurie (and John) Elliot said...

がんばって!Looking forward to hearing more.

Got your email today but won't answer for a few days. It's really HOT and I'm still really, really tired after trip... AND have English Camp prep to take care of...

But thinking of you. :-)

7/28/2010 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home