the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Friday, January 29, 2010

That's what Mr J says

So, I haven't posted here for a long time.  Just before Christmas, I got a car which then enabled me to get a job.  I've been working at a tutoring center all this month.  There my name is Mr. B.  Apparently I bear a resemblance to my predecessor Mr. J. That's what almost all the students tell me.

While I was working with some second graders, we were taking turns going around and checking our answers to a worksheet together.  There was a sidebar, and then some confusion as to whose turn it was next.  Although I'm fairly certain we picked up where we left off, some students were not happy. 

One student said, "The first will be last, and the last will be first." 

I said, "Right, that's what the Bible says."

She said, "No, that's what Mr. J always says."

"And it's in the Bible too."

"Whatever."

I let it go at that, and we started checking our answers again.  But I thought, that's the kind of person I want to be!  I want to be a person whose conversation comes from an informed filling of the Word. 

That was already one of my New Year's resolutions, but it looks like I'm going to have to redouble my efforts.  It was a good reminder.

2 Comments:

Blogger JESSON and REY ANN said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/13/2010 1:45 PM  
Blogger ROC REV said...

Great thought! Keep it up man.

7/08/2010 8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home