the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Monday, September 14, 2009

Churches and beaches

I went to two churches today.  One was in Japanese, the other was in English.

The English church is an evangelical free church, the denomination I grew up in.  They seem to be pretty sound, but I get the feeling I've heard all their messages before.  This church is within biking distance from my apt, and lots of people from school recommended it.  They also have small groups that I'm interested in.  I might check them out seperately.  I've been going one place two or three times to get the feel of the church and then checking another.  So next week I'll go somewhere else.  I have more recommendations from friends.

The Japanese Church is a small Holiness Church (less than 20 active members, and six of those are a family).  The pastor and his wife are Korean missionaries who worked in Shinagawa.  Today she told me I have "missionary" written across my forehead.  There are a lot of second generation or Japanese-American Christians there, so it's nice to talk to people who have similar experiences.

Other than that, I've made some good friends in my program and at my apartment complex.  Things are working out pretty well so far.  The reading here is heavy, and I worry about completing my assignments on time, but I've done fine so far. 

I've got a small work-study as a "conversation facilitator" in an English class for international students, but it's hardly twenty bucks a week.  I might look for a part-time job too if I have the time.

Yesterday I went to Laguna Beach with my cousin T and his son M.  They tried to teach me to snorkel, but the waves were really surging high.  It was still a great experience though.  I also got to see their younger boy practice gymnastics. 

I guess that's about all for now.  I'm gonna try and take some pictures so I have something to show as well as tell here. :)  Later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home