the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Monday, August 24, 2009

A New Stage

So it's been a long time. I've been using the internet at the library downtown and as such haven't had much open access. I've also been busy finalizing details about going to grad school.

So, I left from Aomori Airport two weeks ago today after helping at Living English Camp. Mostly only teachers from Seiai came.


Then I went to Yokohama and helped with the VBS program at Yokohama Union Church. But I had to cut out on that early and leave on Thursday because my visa expired that Friday.

I spent the next week at home with the folks. Went to check out my brother's apartment in Iowa City.

Then I flew to LA on Saturday. I'm staying with my aunt here until I move into my apartment and have orientation tomorrow. I'm planning to get a masters in TESOL and then head back to Japan.

I met a few retired missionaries from Japan (some who went to Tak!) at my aunt's Sunday School class, and sat in front of a Japanese woman during the service. We had a short conversation.

Coming out here to such a large church was a bit of culture shock. But over all it's been great so far. Aunt B has been living in LA for decades, but she moved to this part of town 5 years ago. She said it's been tough to get reoriented, but seems to have found a good place. She has many friends and seems to be a genuine encouragement to most.

...I guess I should change the title of this blog.

More later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home