the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Friday, June 05, 2009

Do you have much time left?

A quick recap of a response to an email from one of my friend's mothers at church at home:

I still have about 2 or 3 months left here.  Summer vacation starts in here in mid July (American summer vaca is really long).  And technically, I have from then until August 14 (when my visa expires) to stay here.

But in between then I have a lot of things coming up.  I'm working on grad school applications.  Seems like I'll just make it in on time.  Soon I'll be prepping for final tests, then there's the school festival.  There's my going away party too.  My supervisor at school is already asking me to choose the place and write a speech. 

Then I should smooth the transition over for my successor.  He says he thinks everything will be ok, but I'm not so sure.  I think my job is a little complex.

There's also an English camp I helped out with last year near here the first week of August, and a VBS program at Yokohama that also finishes around Aug 14. :)  Since we're still smoothing out details about when my successor will come, I'm not sure if I'll do all that.  There are so many chances for ministry in Japan!

1 Comments:

Blogger ivanc said...

Hi Nick,

I was the ESL teacher at To-O Gijuku from 2003 to 2005. It was interesting reading about some of your experiences and can identify. The job is complex. I left wondering if I'd made an inkling of a positive impression somewhere. Still, I know that it was not in vain. Sometimes, God uses those experiences later to evidence the results--long term impact versus the short term.

6/28/2009 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home