the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

crying in class tonight

At Bible class tonight, using the new text, the last question was "have you received the Bread of Life?"  The lesson was about Jesus feeding the 5000.  The other questions didn't quite lead up to it, and I was kind of surprised to read it myself.  

And to top it off, the pastor was out of town on business, and the teacher who usually helps me had a YWCA board meeting.  So, it was me and two students.  

After some discussing about what "receiving the Bread of Life" means, R-san said her mother and  younger brother believed in Jesus and had received baptism, but she never had.  On saying this, she started to tear up a little.  

Whether she saw this or not, W-san chimed in that she believed in Jesus and was baptized about three years ago.  However, she also believes people like Buddha and Mohammad were good teachers. While W-san was talking, R-san had a few tears running down her cheek which she tried to dab away with a tissue.  .  

While I think the atmosphere was fairly open, it didn't look like a subject R-san wanted to talk about more at this time.  R-san has been the most devoted student so far.  She always comes on time, and is willing to be involved in the lesson.  She's been looking for something, and it looks like she found something to think about.  

I'm not sure I handled the situation well, but I'll follow up the next time I see her.  I want to make sure she knows that whatever her opinion is, whatever she believes, where ever she's at, she's always welcome.  And if she wants to talk about it, I want to know why it's such a big deal for someone with two baptized family members to talk about baptism.  I know she's the odd one out, but I didn't think just mentioning it would cause such strong emotions.

If you think of it, please take the time to pray for her - and all my students.  We could all use it.  

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered doing more work in Japan beyond teaching high school? It sounds like you're making an impact for the honor and glory of God over there.

Kristoffer

5/28/2009 4:52 AM  
Blogger NB said...

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Right now I feel like I'm making more of an impact outside school than in it.

Yeah, I'm seriously considering coming back. But like I've said before, I'm starting to realize what an oxymoron "short-term missions" is. I think it will take my life - that's where the real impact comes.

The catch is, to do that, I'd need two years of ESL to become a real teacher, or two years of Bible/seminary to become a real missionary.

I never intended to be a missionary, so for now I'm going to walk the line, try and get a masters in ESL at Christian Uni and get some Bible on the side. You know how I have troubles deciding. :)

LE, tells me you're teaching English to Koreans in NYC. Is that true? How's it going?

5/28/2009 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home