the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Friday, March 13, 2009

I've been baptized!

This morning only junior high students have class.  And with only the junior high students in the chapel, the high school chaplain delivered perhaps the most personal sermon I've heard her give.  It went like this:

"Today is the anniversary of my baptism.  I was baptized in high school.  This marks a time when I realized Jesus Christ was not just a person, I realized He is my Lord.  I went to church for many years, and then I got baptized.  

And I'm not the only person who has been baptized.  The people who came here long ago from America to start this school were also baptized, and so were the Japanese teachers who helped to found this school.

For many of you, this school is your first experience with Christianity and Jesus Christ.  You might wonder why people get baptized.  I even wonder that sometimes myself.  But actually the truth is that God calls us to baptizism.  You might think that you chose this school, but in fact, Jesus chose you.  I encourage you all to think about baptism."

The largest critism of Christian schools in Japan is that they are Christian "in name only" (形だけ). And despite how dangerously close this sermon came to that reality, I told the chaplain after the service that I really enjoyed hearing about her story and her Christian life, and I'm sure the students did too.

It's not much, but it's a start だんだんでね? Maybe it's because the stress of final tests is finished.  Who knows.  Things are looking slightly up.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home