the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I feel like I'm not important

I feel like I'm not important at school...

  • When I am asked to change grades for students simply because they are "advanced course or 特進 students".

  • When other teachers teach a class called Oral English without me once a week, which actually has no speaking or communicative English. It is all grammar from the regular textbook. It is just a quick fix to cover up a requirement by the Ministry of Education that requires us to teach Oral English twice a week.

  • When no one listens to me or takes the time to explain things to me.

  • When I get a three word explanation in English of a fifteen minute long discussion that was in Japanese.

All of these happened at department meetings this week.  And then there's one more meeting at 2 o'clock today.  This is one of the real contributing reasons to why I am leaving.  But it's difficult to explain to staff whose whole career has involved making these kinds of compromises at school.

1 Comments:

Blogger Appelgates said...

We feel you on this one! Every point is the same shot to the heart for us as well. Quite a frustrating position it is indeed.

3/19/2009 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home