the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Thursday, June 05, 2008

The Fixed Mindset

I was reading about the fixed mindset in this article by Highlights Magazine. The "fixed mindset" is a student who is afraid to fail. A student whose identity is build on their "smart" reputation (I might have been that kind of student). But as we know learning is more than just the right answer - it's a process.

It seems especially prevalent in Japan - I even have some teachers who seem to think this way. But it's good (for my sanity) to know that it exists all over the work as well.


The article talked said that for this reason, it is important to praise students for even any good attempts they make. Because as we all know, you learn from a mistake not a right answer.

...It seems I've made a lot of mistakes in Japan. Does that mean I'm learning? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home