the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Reading Books

I recently had a book about Japan recommended to me by a friend who also
lives here. This isn't so rare, it has a lot of interesting insights and
history that I never would have learned by talking to people. Even
Americans aren't proud of everything in their history and culture. ;)
But I had this thought, and I think it's worth sharing:

"You can read books about Japan your whole life, and not really know any
Japanese people. You can spend your whole life talking to Japanese
people and never understand anything about Japanese culture."

I think what is really needed is balance. But as you learned when you
had to walk the balance beam in gym class, it's harder than it looks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home