the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

If I wasn't working

A friend recently asked me what I'd be doing if I wasn't working
tomorrow, and I thought this was insightful about my life here so, I
copied and pasted it here.

If I wasn't working I'd be:
1) Reading Manga, that's studying Japanese, right?

2) talking to the old lady down the street with a BBQ chicken cart. Her
family has a business of food carts that go to all the local festivals.
She knows all kinds of inside info about everything in town, and she's
really nice.

3) Hanging out with my "host mom". I snagged one from the local uni. She
already has three host kids, and I'm friends with her daughters, so she
kind of adopted me. She taught me to write haiku (5-7-5) and renka
(5-7-5-7-5). She's a "Japanese lit and culture" teacher at a local high
school, and I'm sure she'd teach me more if I had time. The dad died a
few years ago, and the family is just kind of lonely.

4) mountain biking and hiking somewhere. Justin left me a mountain bike,
and I've put some miles on it. I can bike to the mountains in less than
half an hour, and there are all kinds of hikes with mountain streams and
temples and stuff here. It's like the Legend of Zelda (actually the
creator of the Legend of Zelda used to play around old mountain shrines
when he was a kid). What bites is that they're so close and I rarely go
there.

5) Singing karaoke (they have karaoke box rooms here, it's way funner).
And if you know some Japanese pop it's even funner. I spend a lot of my
"Japanese study time" listening to Japanese music and watching Japanese
films.

6) Hanging out with local college students. I never have time for them,
but they're really fun. There's all kinds of great things to do at the
college, but I've got to remember I'm not a student. But it's on my way
home, and many of my best friends in town are college students.

7) Traveling to Kansai, Kyushu or Okinawa - if I had money. People from
Kansai really are great and fun people, at least the ones I've met. And
all those places are warmer than here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home