the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Monday, May 07, 2007

My Middle Name

Again today, for the yearbook, I had to explain my middle name. Japanese
people only have first and last names. And actually the family name
comes first in Japanese, so when you say first name they get really
confused.

Japanese people always ask, why do you have a... middle?... name? And
I've begun to wonder the same question. Why do we have middle names?

I suppose we value being individual, and we fight over children's names.
Japanese people don't value individuality as much, and they rarely argue
anyway. They just submit to authority, and someone in the family always
has authority. ...usually the grandparents. :) Isn't that a change from
American culture?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home