the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Thursday, May 31, 2007

After class

Well, it's been a few weeks ago now, but after my high school first year college track lesson, I had a few of them follow me out into the hallway. We ended up having a decent conversation about pop music and the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie. But the two girls up top were way too giggly.



In America "college track" means you take certain courses in place of other courses. But my high school in Japan is very different. These students have one or two extra lessons a day, that means they are at school until 5 pm or later (basic track student lessons are finished at 3:15pm). On top of that they are forbidden from participating in sports or having a part-time job. I guess that's about it.

This class is full of talkers (a nice change) because they are all mostly overachievers.

On the bottom left is S-kun. He's a little shy in class, and he's kind of a geek. But after class he always comes up and talks to me in full drawn out sentences - not the short 1-3 word responses I usually get. Actually S-kun is the reason we're sitting on the stairs in the first place. It takes a lot of courage to talk to the foreign teacher like that. But that's how you learn right? dive in? I like his attitude a lot.

Bottom center is Y-chan. A lot of the girls just talk to me because they are teenage and they think that the foreign teacher is cool. But I think Y-chan is different, she talks to me like she is actually talking to a person. She and S-kun are two of the reasons I look forward to this class all week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Teaching really sounds amazing, I can't wait till I get to try it out...hope the students like me as much as they seem to like you^.^

in answer to your question about my paper, it's "american style" but if your referring to the way Japanese literature's pace works and tends to have a very fast ending then yeah, I guess it does look like that-maybe I've been reading too much Japanese lit^.^

6/05/2007 12:44 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I see...I didn't know that about essays...
do you know what I'm talking about? I can't remember all the terms but if I'm right the pace for most literature goes:
begining: medium pace and semi-short, middle: very long and detailed often inlcuding seemingly unrelated stories or something of the sort, and end:really fast (and usually kind of anti-climatic in american standards). I mean, thats not a perfect description and I think I might be missing a stage but the idea is that the middle is really long and a lot of western readers have trouble with it and then they get to the end and get disapointed because its really really fast and short. I've gotten used to it..sort of^.^

6/05/2007 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home