the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Friday, March 09, 2007

Tachi-neputa


Along with a bunch of new photos here are the highlights from this weekend's tour of the Tachi-neputa museum with O-sensei and M-sensei.

Along time ago, the nobles and rich merchants in this part of the country used to flaunt their money and power by having a big festival called Tachi-neputa. Every year they would construct paper lanterns of mythical figures that were more than four stories tall - so the museum is five stories tall. People here still make them every year. The lanterns are assembled on the street during the actual festival, then paraded around town. This is me next to a sample head at the museum.


<- This is O-sensei posing next to a sample hand.




Me playing the hand cymbals in a "Hands On" performance. ->









And the other big lanterns:








How's that for photos? Now that tests are over, hopefully I'll have some more time for blogging. And I'll be doing stuff as soon as the snow melts! B. comes next week! Stay tuned for more photos!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

that look pretty amazing.

No, for some reason before this week I had never seen \hakone...now I plan on going again at least one more time...hopefully more.

Let`s see...for me, Akihabara was a little over rated though if you`re looking to buy cheap video games (which I often am) then its the pace to go. I love harajuku, particulary for cheap clothes and enrish shirts...plus people watching. Tsukiji was good and I suggest it if you havnt done it...the earlier you go the better becayse of the tuna auctions which are cool...but missable if you dont want to wake up at 5 AM. I really liked the HamaRikyu garden which you can take a ferry from to asakusa or odaiba(Ive done it twice)...
that`s about all I have for suggestions.

Have fun^.~

3/13/2007 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home