the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

My Brain is Tired

I don't know if it's the season, or culture shock, or the fact that it's
finals grading week, or because I've just been busy, but my brain has
been tired for nearly a month now. And I'm really looking forward to
Christmas break.

Teaching in a language classroom demands a lot of split second decisions
and redirections. "Did the student understand?" "Should I rephrase,
repeat, gesture, draw on the board, give them time, or maybe all of the
above?" And I've quit making what I think is the best decision, and I
just make a decision. My brain is too tired to really consider the options.

N said her sister H in Tokyo says the same thing. And H has been here a
couple of years now. N wonders if it's something dietary that we're not
getting (way to use that biology degree!). And if I had a dime for
everyone who was worried about what I'm eating....

I heard that there was a teacher here who stayed for six years. Six
years! But during this culture shock swing, I'm not sure I'll stay here
longer than two years.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Christmas. And I'm hoping to come
back to school refreshed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home