the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Genius and Insanity

The line between genius and insanity is often paper thin.

I had a Christmas lesson for my first year students this week. It
involved acting out the story of St. Nicholas and the Three Maidens,
passing presents around the room and chanting sentences, and ended with
singing "We wish you a Merry Christmas". If you've been reading, this
last month has been crazy for me. So I was trying something new.

But this morning, one of my supervising teachers gave me this
complement. "I and the other first year teachers were inspired by your
lesson and creativity this week," she said. That's funny, because if I
had commented on my lesson I would have called it crazy and desperate.
But like I said, insanity is near genius.

And you never get a real complement in Japanese. This is only my third
real compliment in four months. You get plenty of superficial
complements like, "You look great!", "What a beautiful cell phone!", but
real complements are few and far between.

So I thanked her very much. And I'll see if I can come up with some more
insanely creative lessons for after the break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home