the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

College Entrance

Maybe I said this a while ago, but when O-sensei's student failed
college entrance, she cried. And O-sensei had a bad day. I'm not sure
the parents really cared. When the student got into another college, the
entire office rejoiced.

The college process is more complicated here, applications interviews,
recommendations. The school recommendation actually forms some sort of
relational bond between the college and the high school. And the high
school can only recommend one student to one college at a time.

So a student only gets one recommendation. And if they are denied
college entry, they have to wait until after they have failed, then get
a new recommendation from the high school, and then reapply somewhere
else. I'm just a foreigner, and maybe the system actually makes sense,
but it looks like a hassle to me.

Today another student got into college. I didn't recognize the name, and
they're not in a homeroom I teach, so I don't really care. But again the
entire office erupted into shouts of joy. "Hoorah! Amazing! Great! Oh
good job! Good job!" Teachers are running around smiling. Huddling
around the acceptance letter. And the student isn't even here! Final
tests ended earlier this afternoon.

But then again, it'd be nice to know that my teachers were that proud of me.

*** This also happens with smaller things:
I say, "I got a new cell phone."
EVERYONE says,"Oh, amazing! Cute! Beautiful! Cool!"

I say, "I got a new scarf (muffler in Japan)."
EVERYONE says,"Oh, amazing! Cute! Beautiful! Cool!"

2 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

That sounds complicated but Id have to agree...having your teachers be that involved in your acceptances and such would be really touching. I have noticed here, that teachers are much closer to their students...to the point of going out in the evenings with classes and drinking and that sort of thing. Of course, I assume not all teachers do this, but the relationship is really different.
^.^

12/07/2006 8:35 PM  
Blogger NB said...

Yeah, high school teachers don't go drinking with their students. ^_^

12/08/2006 8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home