the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Friday, December 08, 2006

American Culture

As Americans - especially white Americans - we tend to think of
ourselves as having no culture, no heritage, no ethnicity. But this is a
lie.

My seniors only have five weeks of school left! So last week I asked
them what they wanted to learn. Three of my students bluntly replied,
"We want American culture!" I said, "What do you mean?" "We want slang,
phrases, idioms! American food! stories!" This had me a bit dumb founded.

It was a shock to me that my students were actually interested in me,
and not my language. But really, I should have thought of this a while
ago. At first I tried, "Well, we don't really have much..." "Whatever!",
they replied. (sometimes I regret teaching them that word) And I found I
had to swallow my pride, and admit that I do have some culture.

So next week I am cooking Macaroni and Cheese for them (it was
originally intended as a gift for my neighbors, but they have either
been absent, or declined). We've watched some sitcoms the previous
teacher left, and talked about those. And we're also going to talk about
what I usually do for Christmas, driving in the USA, baseball.

But the Japanese already have many American things, so I am worried
about overlap and boring my students. But it should be fun!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

It's true...we actually do have culture! Yeah, a lot of the students ask me questions about America, as well as my host family, that I wouldnt really expect. I guess we just take i for granted, in the same way many people take their culture for granted^.^ I havn't had macoroni and cheese in ages!

12/11/2006 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home