the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Monday, November 20, 2006

Root Beer

I knew there were not many Japanese people who like Root Beer, but my
students wanted to try it anyway. So I asked my friends from Sioux Falls
to send me some root beer candies, and I gave them to my students today.

I gave them each a candy today, and most of them hated it. It was so
fun! Out of twenty students, only two liked Root Beer. I taught them the
word "nasty" because that's what most of the faces they made seemed to say.

I also found out WHY Japanese people don't like Root Beer. Apparently
the bandages they wrap old people with (like ACE bandages) are scented
with something similar to root beer in Japan. So root beer tastes the
same as the way old people smell. Yuck.

Haha. I'm so mean, like an Australian serving Vegemite. :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous K said...

Haha, it is really mean of you to ask your students to try those Root beer candies:) I am also oen of them who do NOT like Root beer stuff--somebody asked me to eat Root beer float, and I was like..."Yikes!!It tastes like medicinens..."

11/20/2006 4:56 PM  
Anonymous K said...

Yep, you are officially mean:) I was not a big fan of it either... Heehee.

11/23/2006 7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nick boyes in bold!

these blogs are great! how come no one comments? don't they read them?
i forgot to read them until now, but i am sure glad i remembered. it sounds like you are experiencing some cool things, and doing a great job with your class :)

reading this stuff makes me miss you! i hope you are well.

love,
sarah:)

p.s. vegemite isn't as bad as you might imagine. but, it ain't no peanut butter, either...

p.p.s. i am trying to locate your address so i can send you a christmas card.

12/04/2006 7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home