the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Significant Memories

I was writing my second chapel speech today, and I remembered a great memory from when I first arrived:

I arrived over Obon break, and there were three students attending an extra English course over the break, so they came along with me on my tour of the school. When we came into the chapel O-sensei said, "this is where you will be giving speeches", and pointed to the stage.

The chapel was a dark place. The alter hid the eastern morning light, and the south facing windows were overshadowed by the tall school building not 50 m away. Rays of sunlight accented the noticably dusty air.

I asked the students, "Do you like chapel?"

"No." K-chan answered, shaking her head definativly.

"Why?"

"It smells...old."

And standing here now I can tell you, that`s the truth.

1 Comments:

Anonymous elizabeth O said...

I love your use of words in this blog Nick! Sounds poetic.

Catch you later

10/10/2006 2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home