the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Language Lessons

I just got done with another lunch with K-sensei. I really appreciate her help (and her food), but she talks so fast, and teaches me so many new words at once. With NO review. I even asked her to slow down many times today, and she didn`t. Maybe she feels like she does. This is probably how my students feel. And she knitpicks my Japanese! Oh, I hate it! I will remember this when I am teaching my students.

I also went to the Japanese Class sponsored by the city government thursday night. I had heard rumors about it before, but some Mormons actually told me the exact details about when and where. :) More on them later.

I also met the missionary from the other Christian school in town at the Japanese class. He and his wife are taking me to their church tomorrow.

A. invited me to a party for "new foreigners" at the university yesterday. I met some cute Japanese chicks and a few interesting international students (besides A). The cute chicks are the same age as my little brother. Not sure how I feel about that. But my friends said not to worry. :)

I felt so nervous at the party, college students, and I realized how little of a Japanese conversation I can really hold. But we went out afterwards and that really does help language skills. I met a girl named A-chan, and as the night went on her English, which had been crappy, became amazing. And I think my Japanese got better too.

***

On a side note, there was a health screening at school and we had to drink barium for an x-ray. Japanese people pronounce something between b and v, and also something between an r and l. So barium quickly becomes valium in a conversation. Kind of funny. Maybe you had to be there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

I dont know if you actually see these comments or not...anyway, I can see what you're saying about the B/v l/r thing...it can be very funny^.^
how old are you anyway if you had to be worrying about young japanese girls? most people here think Im older than I am...that can also be amusing. In any case, it sounds like your Japanese is much better than mine.

10/14/2006 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home