the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Misson Style

I was sitting in church last Sunday, during a particularly boring sermon, and I recognized the style of the pews. They`re mission style! But not trendy, cute mission style. Real utilitarian, 150 year old mission style pews. Because this church was part of the mission era (during the tail end of colonialism). Same thing with the chapel at school, and even some of the "Western historical buildings" in town.

I am sitting in history! I`m still not sure how I feel about this. The nearest feeling is uneasy.

* * *

Also, in the USA, when people say their families have lived in town forever, they actually mean around 200 years. But when Japanese say their family has lived in town forever, they mean it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home