the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Humbling

Today I had a humbling experience. One of my students in the front row of my elective class said, "N-sensei! N-sensei! Let's talk about something interesting today! Let's talk about after graduation!" And there was a murmer in back, "I just want to SPEAK English."

I'm not that uptight so I said sure. My students broke up into groups all by themselves, and they discussed their hopes and fears for the future and school, work, etc. And they all spoke in English (except for one group I had to pseudo-join to get them to speak in English, but one out of six ain't bad). It was probably the most enjoyable learning experience in that class since I've taught it.

Last week I tried to have a discussion about Yasukuni Shrine and it did not do well. High school students do not care about the news. But apparently all of my students went and asked K-sensei - our resident expert on Chinese history and culture - about it.

So I learned, you gotta give the people what they want. Let the high schoolers talk about what interests them. That (talking) is the point of the class anyway.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Hey^.^
Yes I linked you up but I don't know you. I tried to leave a comment on your blog but it seems it hasn't shown up. I was looking for journals and blogs about or from Japan and I stumbled across yours. It's the first current journal I've found so I'm very excited. I can garuntee I'll be a regular reader from now on^.^
Peace!

9/07/2006 9:17 PM  
Anonymous wynia said...

hey this is sarah w. from NW. read your comment on ariel's blog...encourages me too. I've been on a rough road with grad school, and have been doing the opposite of each of the 3 things that you suggested to beat pre-depression. thanks for the heads up. praying that you're well in japan.

9/08/2006 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home