the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

World leaders and Elvis


President Bush and Japanese Prime Minisiter Junichiro Koizumi will tour Graceland. The tour will follow a talk about Human Rights and the Japan-US relations.

Human rights is a complicated issue in Asia - in fact this is one of the reasons Japan does not serve in a larger role with the United Nations (but for some reason China does). I would hate to force our cultural views onto the Japanese. However, I am aware that some blatent discrimination happens in Japan.

I also found this sign on the internet this week. It says "no foreigners". I know Japan is a very homogenous country, and as a future foreigner I am especially afraid of this kind of discrimination.

I don't agree with Koizumi's musical tastes, but I hope this serves to better the relations between our two countries.

1 Comments:

Blogger ariel said...

They totally just had this story on the Today show this morning.

6/30/2006 10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home