the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Friday, June 02, 2006

Meeting Up

Yesterday I met up with the infamous LF (who is undoubtedly reading this post right now). She had some great advice about surviving in Japan as well as sharing your faith. She asked me one (major) question that I didn't have an answer for: "So, what do you hope to accomplish in two years?"

I haven't really given it much thought. 1) Worst case scenario, I hope to survive. I hope to do my job, and I hope to serve my students. I hope my class is useful. 2) Best case scenario, I hope to live abundently. I hope to make good friends with my co-workers and members of the community. I hope my class is enjoyable for my students. I hope to share the Gospel with whom ever I can in a way that is sincere and understandable - if there is one thing I promised myself, it is that I will NEVER bash someone over the head with the Bible, or try to pitch the Gospel where it isn't welcome. But even these are pretty vague dreams.

If you were going to teach abroad for two years, and you would have more specific goals than these, or if you'd like to shoot some of my goals down, PLEASE comment. I'd love it.

LF also encouraged me to see the rest of the country (Japan), not just Aomori - like any good young jetsetter would.:) I've already told some people, two years is only 102 weekends. I've already told IR (furture JET employee from SF) that I'm coming to visit Peace Park in Hiroshima. And I've heard rumors of an RCA get together in Tokyo (can you confirm or deny that JH? :) ). And of course I'll make it to Mt. Fuji, Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto sometime in two years. And that's more than just perks. It's also part of getting to know the culture, and it gives me one more thing to talk about - besides the fact that I can eat natto).

LF was also interested in hearing about the Progressive Book Club from the Grassroots Democrats on June 8th in Sioux Falls. The book this week is "Nickeled and Dimed". They mostly talk about poverty, social justice and politics. And they are by far the most informed people I have met in Sioux Falls.

This morning I talked to AY's friend MT from Japan. She has been very helpful, even instrumental, in the second wave of my learning the Japanese language. We just talked about regular stuff like family, movies, music, etc. But that's all most conversations are about anyway, right?

Man, now I have to go back to work and focus on coffee. With all these thoughts and plans!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

7/21/2006 8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home