the nikku

reflecting on ESL/EFL and its relation to faith

Friday, June 30, 2006

Day at the lake


My lifegroup from SF went out to a nearby lake. I'm not the most experienced at watersports, but I had a good time. It's been a long time since I've been out on the water, and I forgot how much I miss it.

I'm grateful for the support this group has been during my relatively short time in SF. It seems that just now I am starting to build roots in SF, and now I have to leave again. I have received a lot more generosity here than I have had a chance to give. But I have also learned to give more than I thought about before.


As I sat on the beach in the evening, some interesting thoughts came to me. I've never really been boating before. And I kept thinking "this is an upper middle class passtime". Most of my time at a lake has been spent eating, swimming, and fishing - from shore, not on the water. And it made me uncomfortable.

But I kept thinking things like "go and make disciples of all nations" and "I have become all things to all peoples so that I might preach Christ crucified". And the conclusion I reached was that I must learn how to operate in all situations.

I cannot let my personal feelings distract me from the current task. And today the task was relaxing, having fun and showing love. I didn't do a great job of that today. But I've had good examples here, and I'll continue to seek perfection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home